Friday, July 7, 2006

Meeting My Students



Today I met my students near their homes in the very poor neighborhood of Agua Blanca, which reminds me in many ways of North Philadelphia where I teach. Both neighborhoods are considered by outsiders to be extremely dangerous and a breeding ground for drugs and violence. But once you are there you see that most of the people are warm and friendly, trying to make the most of their situations. When I took the above photograph in Agua Blanca I could imagine some of my students riding three on a bike down Lehigh Avenue in North Philly.

I gave the students their disposable cameras and we talked for about an hour about the project and what kinds of photographs they wanted to take. I was impressed by how seriously they are taking this project. They were really excited, most of them had never taken pictures before. I can’t wait to see them again on Monday.

No comments: